my recent reads..

Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters; From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima
Power Sources and Supplies: World Class Designs
Red Storm Rising
Locked On
Analog Circuits Cookbook
The Teeth Of The Tiger
Sharpe's Gold
Without Remorse
Practical Oscillator Handbook
Red Rabbit

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cloud Computing - Why IT Matters

I caught Simon Wardley's presentation from OSCON on the IT Conversations Network; you can see in video below. He's an engaging speaker, and I think his characterisation of Cloud Computing as nothing less than a cultural transformation akin to the Industrial Revolution is spot on.



Soundtrack for this post? Mr Blue Sky

4 comments:

Noons said...

Lovely! Another clown, masquerading as an "expert"...

So now: the definition of service bureaus created in the 60s, is totally ignored in favour of calling it "utility computing".

And we are told that providing a CRM service through the cloud is something you can achieve with Ubuntu's - an operating system! - software.

When can we break out the tar and feathers?

Tim... said...

Hi.

I thought it was a decent overview. It would be nice if most of the people harping on about cloud were as clear as this guy.

Noons: Regarding the Ubuntu issue, I didn't see it like that. Sounded to me like he was just saying you can play with Amazon-style provisioning in-house using Ubuntu to me. Maybe I missed the point. :)

Thanks for the post. :)

Cheers

Tim...

Unknown said...

Hi Noons, Tim, thanks for dropping by!

Noons, appreciate the prod at anything hypey;-) But when I listened to this I just enjoyed the jokes ... and thought he made a good point that the cloud is not actually about any specific technology (whatever you call it - utility, cloud, service bureau, virtualisation etc), but is a major socio-ecomomic transformation. That's the way I'm seeing it anyway..

There was some bare metal discussion of the (then) up and coming ubuntu cloud on FLOSS 99 - agree with Tim that I think it's really an infrastructure play (albeit with some services for end-users).

Unknown said...

That was a great informative blog on Cloud Computing and its services. Thanks for sharing it here. I am very much interested to know more about Cloud Computing and its services. I got a good opportunity to gather more information about Cloud Computing and also got a good chance to meet and talk with the world's leading experts of Cloud Computing through the World's largest and 1st annual conference named as Cloudslam09 conference. which is an virtual event.